Friday, January 26, 2007

Salesforce, NASA and Noble Laureates

So Jimmy and I headed over to an event organized by Marc Benioff the CEO of Salesforce.com to launch his book on social entrepreneurship and to honor some of people featured in the book such as Peter Gabriel, Michael Dell and Alan Hassenfeld, CEO of Hasbro. It was a delight to see Peter and Alan getting well deserved respect. As I was leaving for dinner, for the first time, ran into Gavin Newsom who promised to come by our new office to officially “bless” it. The mayor, as always, was in great form.

On the way to dinner I stopped at the Accel Partners party…they always have the best wine, champagne and food…in a very beautiful modern art museum. But this year unlike the last few years they did not do it with Google who was having their own party later on that evening. Accel was a much smaller event as a result. And more on Google later.

Then it was on to a Davos dinner which for me was a real treat. The main guest, who was at my table, was Mike Griffin, the Director of NASA. The other guests were the Chief Scientifc Advisor to the Prime Minister of Japan and an old friend Sir Martin Rees, the Astronomer Royal of Britain. Griffin was astonishing, candid, insightful, imaginative, open minded, (a bit arrogant), though willing to listen, and willing to admit that he got something wrong. And not at all like a typical bureaucrat. His vision is one of a space faring civilization and he doesn’t mean the US, he means humankind. He loves the idea of space based solar power, Stewart will be pleased to hear. He has funded some of the best innovative rocket technology like Elon Musk’s Space X. So for me this was a really exciting evening.

As it happens sitting next to me was another space buff, Abdullatif Al-Othman, the CFO of Saudi Aramco, someone I have worked with before. He was an excited fan too, but he also had very kind words about the impact we have had on Aramco and invited us back.

Then things got weird…
So after dinner I decided to go the Google party which was beginning at 10:30. After putting on my warm clothes to march back up the frozen hill to the Steignberger, I had not gotten twenty feet from the front door of the hotel when I was hijacked by HH Sheik Salman Al Kalifah, the Chairman of Bharain oil whom I’ve know for some time and mainly see here at Davos. He leaned in close and whispered urgently to me…”Shimone Peres is about to speak here at your hotel and I need to listen to him, but I can’t walk in there alone. If any of the Arab press see me I am in deep trouble, but I have to be there. Please take me in there so I can be anonymous.” So what could I do but turn around and take him in. The event was a night cap with several Nobel laureates including Joe Stiglitz, Ron Engle and Berkeley’ Steve Chu and soon to arrive Shimone Peres. But Peres got trapped at the Accel party and never showed. The speakers were great though. When Larry Summers who was interviewing them asked Joe Stiglitz “what is the one fallacy in the air around Davos that would undermine some common beliefs?” Joe, replied, “Only one?” And then went on to attack the discussion on the need for a new round of trade agreements. He argued that no deal is better than a bad deal. And the last round was a bad deal.” That would indeed be a very controversial position around Davos. At the end of the session the sheik salvaged his evening when I introduced him to Joe Stiglitz and he got to ask Joe about the future of oil and he replied…”biofuels!” And as it happened I had just introduced the sheik to Jay Kiesling, one of the leaders in synthetic biology whose new start up company will soon be focusing on bacteria to produce biofuels. The sheik immediately asked, can I invest as this is obviously the future. The sheik ended the evening by asking if we could help him deal with the security issues facing Bahrain. By then it was too late to head up the hill. So for me, even if I missed the Google party, perhaps something of value will flow from this, the Noble event was really interesting anyway and I was able to help an old friend.

Well that’s it for tonight

4 comments:

Stewart Brand said...

Wonderful stuff, Peter. Keep it coming.

JTH said...

Peter:
Came to your blog late.Lots of good stuff.
Found you via Edge, via NYTimes piece on LongBets.

Will likely link (several times as you covered so much) at least to biofuels. Fits my argument on longbets
http://looneydunes.blogspot.com/2007/02/wanta-best.html

and

http://www.longbets.org/257
We chatted some years ago at PCForum (Larry Summers was lunch speaker)

Keep up the good work(s)
JTH

Anonymous said...

Our selection ofwow gold bean bags, bean bag chairs wow goldand home theater furniture are the mostwow gold comfortable pieces of furniture that will ever invade wow goldyour home. Set up your media room with coolhome theater furniture and bean bag chairs wow goldand your room will become the envy of wow goldall your neighbors. We even have some great accessories to complete your brand new LoveSac, including wow goldbean bag chairs slipcovers, LoveSac ottomans and more.

Anonymous said...

is one of the mostworld of warcraft gold common themes buy wow goldin the ."Man in My City."wow gold kaufen "I was basically talking, telling people I wasn't trying tocheap wow gold be no rapper," Lo saidworld of warcraft gold. "I wanted to be lord of the ring goldlike Baby is to Cash Money, Buy Warhammer goldPuff is to Bad Boy. Warhammer goldI'm just trying to be maple mesosthe man behind the scenes. cheap wow goldI started D4L inMaple Story meso 2003, ended up coming home maple Story mesosfrom jail in 2004. It came from the heart. maple Story mesosEven before Barack Obama won, itwow power leveling felt like he was gonna win.wow po I shouted him out in my song. I'm the man in my city." "Get Money Bi---ez" (featuring Lil' Kim).wow powerleveling "On my last album, I didn't have nothin' for the women," Lo said. "I'll be doing shows, travelling everywhere. Women ask dofus kamasme, 'When you gonna make songs for us?'wow or I went back and wrote. buy wow goldThen I reached out to e Mind drops Novemberchaeap wow gold 24. D.O.E. saidkamas dofushe definitely final fantasy 11 gilcame across some tough times recently,final fantasy xi gil as he alluded tobuy wow gold in his guest verse on LOTR GoldTimbaland's "TheLOTRO Gold Way I Are" lastcheap ffxi gilyear ("I ain't got a bigcheap wow gold ol' house/ I rent a eq2 platroom in a house"). everquest 2 goldOut with the old,flyff penya in with the new.There'sbuy flyff gold Timbo beats on there, ffxi cheap gilDanjahandz gives a track and Joell Ortiz appears on the track "Watchin' Me." The skit ahead of that record is hilariousffxi gil, but it's no laughing matter on "Streets Been Watching,"maplestory mesos though."It basically explains how dudesrunescape gold was looking at me sideways,final fantasy 11 cheap gil" D.O.E. said. "I fellflyff money on my face.eve isk Dudes was eve online isklooking at merunescape money crazy. I explained everything,buy flyff gold how I went from [owning] a Hummer to [riding] theflyff money train. Sh--flyff penya was deep.